Welcome to Sharudin Jamal Blogspot

More than two decades ago, I was diagnosed of having a peculiar illness known as Bipolar Affective Disorder. My world as I knew it crumbled; I lost my business, then my job and later my sense of purpose. It was during this dark moments I rediscovered the joy of running and writing. Most of the articles here are about my rekindled pleasure of hitting the tarmac, my coming to terms with the illness and my discovery of the meaning of life.

I always on the lookout for inspirations to write in these three areas with the hope that they will shed new ray of hope to others who are in the same position as I am.

Do keep in touch if you feel connected through these essays.

Saturday, March 30, 2019

30/3/19 Back to Vision Quest

Again, I should not lose sight of my 3 goals:
  • Breath fresh air - no smoking
  • Be thin - Weigh 57 kg
  • Be fast - Running at 10 km/hour
As I said, the more I focus on the Universe Within, the broader my mental horizon becomes.

Sure, we can talk about many things; the Alternate Reality Dimension, Voluntary Simplicity, Soul Projection, etc.  But the crux of it all is health and happiness.  We must put the effort to delight our citizens (our cells and micro organisms) by serving them through diet and exercise.

Let me reinforce that concept:

Exercise is king, nutrition is queen.  When you put them together you have a kingdom - Jack Lalane

We can be high and mighty in our field of endeavors but if we don't take care of what we eat and when we eat, then we are truly at a loss.  80% of our wellness is based on this understanding.  The other 20% is by sweating.

That is why I said if what I do on daily basis is running, swimming, eating and sleeping, I had fulfilled my major requirements as a human being.  Of course the byproduct of being human is thinking.  Otherwise we will not be labeled as Homo Sapiens; the Thinking Man.

However to be a man fully functioning we need to continuously monitor our food (input), exercise (output) and sleep (rest).  These are my daily markers:

I will win 1 day at a time:
  1. Wake up latest 7:00 am 
  2. Exercise 1 hour in the morning 
  3. Eat 16/8  starting 2:00 pm 
  4. Exercise 1 hour in the afternoon 
  5. Eat LCHF at 8:00 pm 
  6. Sleep at 11.00 pm 
That's the minimum to win the day.

The most wasteful thing we can do in our lives is smoking.  The lungs are meant for the intake of oxygen.  Anything less is poison to the body.  

Sad to say, although I know this scientific fact, I myself had been a smoker for 39 years.  I started smoking since I was 15.  It is the biggest single regret I have in my life.  I was not just a smoker, I was an addict.  I tried quitting hundreds of times but it won't be long after quitting that I was tempted again.  All it takes is just 1 cigarette.  Once I smoke a stick I am back to a pack a day.

Here is the reason why; nicotine is a strong hook.  It triggers the pleasure pathway in the brain by producing the neurotransmitter dopamine.  In a way, I am not addicted to nicotine.  I am hooked to dopamine.  The effect of dopamine is the feeling of euphoria and calmness among the few.

The issue that I have as a Bipolar Affected Disorder patient is my brain cannot regulate the surge of dopamine.  In another word, the floodgate that controls the amount of dopamine released by my brain had malfunctioned.  Either it produced a lot (which led to mania) or too little (which led to depression).  That is why the minute I smoke, I smoked a pack at a go.  Without the cigarettes to induce the dopamine surge, I will feel depressed.

Interestingly you may find most people with mental illness are heavy smokers.  They are dependent on the cigarettes to make them feel normal.  Very likely that mental patients are also suffering from cigarettes related illnesses and 80% will die from them, according to one medical report.

I finally solved the issue by taking healthy oils; butter, MCT Oil, Black Seed Oil and Fish Oil.  I also stop taking sugar and starch.  By eating this way I stabilize my blood sugar, which in turn regulate the production of dopamine in my brain.  No longer I crave for cigarettes even after I smoked one.  The effect was so dramatic that I cannot even finish a stick when I tried smoking recently.  

So this concept dispels the idea that nicotine is very addictive.  I am not hooked to nicotine.  I was having difficulty regulating dopamine.  Once I succeeded in controlling the amplitude of the dopamine surge, I naturally have no desire to smoke.

Beside the healthy oils and eating Low Carbs High Fat diet, I also take magnesium chelate and vitamin B complex for the brain functions and the nerves.

For those hardcore smokers who had been trying to quit but of no avail, start with adjusting your diet.  Use Nicorette in the first 6 months or so.  You can overcome this addiction by giving it a fighting chance.