Welcome to Sharudin Jamal Blogspot

More than two decades ago, I was diagnosed of having a peculiar illness known as Bipolar Affective Disorder. My world as I knew it crumbled; I lost my business, then my job and later my sense of purpose. It was during this dark moments I rediscovered the joy of running and writing. Most of the articles here are about my rekindled pleasure of hitting the tarmac, my coming to terms with the illness and my discovery of the meaning of life.

I always on the lookout for inspirations to write in these three areas with the hope that they will shed new ray of hope to others who are in the same position as I am.

Do keep in touch if you feel connected through these essays.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Thoughts are Things

Look inside your house.  All the belongings were the manifestation of your thought before you buy them.  Yeah, you Googled the items, you look in the magazines, you scouted around, and you fantasized how your house might be like.  And wallah, little by little the forms start to take shape.  But before these things are real, they are already real in the minds of the creators - thoughts are things.

That is why the Zen Master Shunryu Suzuki advised us to guard our thoughts against negative thinking.  He went further to suggest that every day we visualize burning the weeds and dry leaves in our garden's minds.  These "weeds" then in return will be transformed into fertilizer in our luscious garden.

Here is how I nourish my garden:  
Every morning when I wake up, I visualize I am underneath a big tree.  The tree represents my cerebellum, the executioner brain.  I then pick any dry leaf and weed underneath this tree and light it up.  Then I scatter the ashes at the roots.  After that I shower it down with water.

This way, I turned into a gardener of my Inner Garden.


Our thoughts are cause-set-in-motion.  In short, we are governed by the LAW of Cause and Effect.  Earl Nightingale said we become what we think about all day long.  Cause-set-in-motion requires one thing to happen before the next event takes place.  I give you an example; before you can cook a pot of rice you need heat.  Prior to that, you need firewood.  And before the firewood burns it needs fire.  You cannot say, o rice do cook then only I bring in the fire.  It doesn't work that way.  The fire comes before cooked rice!

That is why in the Zen philosophy, the end is the beginning.  You must know your outcome before you start.  Dr. Stephen R. Covey stated this as, "begin with the end in mind."  "If you don't know where you are going, how do you know how to get there?"  Said the Chesire Cat to Alice in the book, Alice in Wonderland.  Because whichever road you take will get you somewhere.  That is why Dr. Napoleon Hill in his book Think and Grow Rich said you got to have a definiteness of purpose.

We are the result of our thoughts projected all the time.  We are creatures of habits, which are the manifestation of our thoughts.  These habits will turn into our character.  Our character then seals our destiny.  That is why you got to be careful of what you wish.  It might come true, for better or for worse.

Each of us humans is our own separate universe.  Our universe is confined to the magnitude of our thoughts.  When we communicate with others, we are extending our universe for others to come in.  That is why I write this blog.  It's a legacy I want to leave behind for my generation to enter my universe.  Long after I'm gone, I will still have a mean of communicating with my children and hopefully their descendants.  I will live through death and extend across time.  I then hopefully become timeless.  Perhaps when I do return back through my genetic coding, I remember who I was.

Yes, I also expanded my universe all over the world by sharing.  To date the blog had loyal readers in Malaysia, USA, Singapore, UK, Australia, India, Pakistan, Switzerland, Greece, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, South Korea, Vietnam, Ukraine, Japan, China, Netherlands, Indonesia, Poland, Turkey, Austria, Canada, Sweden, Mauritius, Oman, UAE, South Africa, Russia, Qatar, Croatia, Romania, France, Brunei, Taiwan, Thailand, Bosnia & Herzegovina, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Israel, Argentina, Egypt, Belgium, Ireland, Spain, Albania, Bulgaria, Bangladesh, Nicaragua, Cyprus, Turkmenistan and Germany.  As my mind connects with them, my thoughts expand.  I want to be connected to my readers.  Every day my Empire of The Minds as Dr. Denis Waitley suggested increases.  It's like having several power generators all over the world.  My circle of influence continues to expand and thus my extended collective actions.

I am honored to have Tun Dr. Mahathir, our now retired prime minister as my patron.  I wonder what kind of impact my universe has on his super massive universes.  Already I saw a little impact on his thought process.  Anyhow, I just sit back and see the results.

Speaking of results, it is worthy to mention that the outcome of the result is beyond our control.  We can only be accountable for our effort.  Using the rice analogy, we are only responsible for controlling the fire and the firewood.  The cooking is no longer our domain.

Our brain is like a transistor radio.  It picks the stations and projects the music.  The same concept applies to the function of the brain.  Which is to pick up the thought waves from the Infinite Intelligence and broadcast it out.  This is what is known as inspirations.  The source of the consciousness however as Ahmed Hulusi mentioned is from one source, Allah the Creator.  There can only be one source, call it whatever you want, there is a First Cause.  So our thoughts are not ours, we are merely the broadcaster of the First Cause.  A physical extension of the thought waves coming from Him.

Tune to the right station, then the inspiration floodgates open.  The signal must be crispy clear, though.  No distortion.  Hence your thought process must be pure.  Ill will, fear, doubt and uncertainty need not occupy this sacred space, the receiver of inspiration from God Almighty.

I think you get my point.  Your thoughts are your most precious asset.  Guard it well, use it wisely.  Your destiny in life depends on it.  Do not waste it on worthless gossips and rumor mongering.  Miyamoto Mushashi advised us in The Book of Five Rings, to not do anything that is of no use.

My thoughts, your thoughts, they are one.  Soon scientists predict we no longer need to use communication devices to talk to each other.  We can do so by telepathy.  We are constantly exploring the best means to transfer this newfound technology to the masses.  My prediction, we can achieve this in a very short time.

Know thyself and the knowledge will set you free - Socrates.






2 comments:

Please be generous & kind with your words...