Welcome to Sharudin Jamal Blogspot

More than two decades ago, I was diagnosed of having a peculiar illness known as Bipolar Affective Disorder. My world as I knew it crumbled; I lost my business, then my job and later my sense of purpose. It was during this dark moments I rediscovered the joy of running and writing. Most of the articles here are about my rekindled pleasure of hitting the tarmac, my coming to terms with the illness and my discovery of the meaning of life.

I always on the lookout for inspirations to write in these three areas with the hope that they will shed new ray of hope to others who are in the same position as I am.

Do keep in touch if you feel connected through these essays.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Greener Pastures


I have a hunch I know why astronomers and scientists are so curious, as we all are, about other worlds and galaxies.  It is partly because of what I call "greener pastures".  The hope seems to spring eternal in all human beings that the opportunities are greater elsewhere.  I suspect this uniquely human attributes, or frailty, has been at the root of all discovery.

But it is a saddening fact that many people spend so much time thinking of other pastures that they never properly appraise their own.  While we are looking at at what the other guy is doing and wishing we were in his pasture, others are wishing they were in ours.  It is like the story of the African farmer who sold his farm and spent the rest of his life hunting for diamonds the world over, only to have the richest diamond mine in the world discovered on the farm he had sold.  This is the true story of the Kimberly Diamond Mine, South Africa.

There is no such thing as a job that cannot, with time and thought, lead to greatness.  But unless we spend the time, study, and effort to be outstanding at what we are now doing, why in the world should we think we could become great at something else?  Somehow, succeeding always looks looks easier in the other fellow's line of work.  It once looked so good to me that I too climbed the fence out of my pasture.  By the time I had scrambled back again, my little excursion had cost me my lifetime savings.  I had gone into a business where I was short on experience and, as usually happens in such a case, I got burned on the wallet.

Now, I am not saying that you cannot go into a different business, but rather that you should you should first learn everything possible about it.  And more important still, look long and carefully at the pasture you are now in.  Chances are it is loaded with opportunities that someone else is going to profit by if you don't.

If you merely compete with everyone else in your line, you must be satisfied with the same returns, the same rewards, they are getting.  But if you create, the sky is the limit.  With the opportunities and the experience you already have, you can build a stairway to just about anything you want.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be generous & kind with your words...